Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The Sound of war...

The Sound of war...

A few days ago I was as always talking over the web to my Libyan fiancé.
I am already used to hear gunshots in the background from time to time. And to say "being used to" is kind of weird. I fortunately grew up in a peaceful area and to hear gunshots is frightening me. But I was convinced that they are far away from his house and he is not affected, so I got calmer.
But what happened this night was scaring the hell out of me.
It started with gunshots but in an unusual way as instead of stopping after a few minutes it was getting more heavy and was followed by sounds I never heard before.
He explained that they shot now with weapons used against tanks. While I was sitting frightened in front of my iPad he tried to call some friends to find out what's going on and to locate the area.
About five kilometers away from his house and all started with a fight about a car which left one dead. The family of the killed was then looking for revenge and it was getting worse and worse. I'm not even sure about the details exactly and if the national security was involved at some point or not, but that's not the topic.
After three hours of permanent shootings the next stage were weapons normally used against planes - anti aircraft - and that was the time when I was more quiet than ever before. He was a bit nervous and not as relaxed as one could be when he survived war times. The "normal" heard gunshots aren't frightening him anymore as he is able after the war to locate just from the sound if it's near to him or not. But for me, honestly, this was a situation where I realized even more than before how dangerous human beings can be.
Libya fought so hard to get finally the so long served liberty, they suffered more than anyone without war experience can imagine, and now the newly gained liberty is still a mess and has almost the same sound as a war.
Peace should be silent, comfortable and not frightening, don't they deserve to live peacefully now, after all these struggles?
And it's not only that there are a few stupid guys going against each other, no, it's affecting so many.
Has one of them ever thought about the persons who lost their loved ones, about children survived a traumatic time and still not finding rest, all the innocent out there who shiver at each shot and relive cruel memories?
And even me and I'm surely not the only one having a close relationship to Libya from an outside position. We are sitting here, in a calm and safe area, and we are frightened and hope each time that our loved ones will not be affected.
A feeling I never experienced before, being completely helpless, powerless.
Why are humans like this? They gained the power and they won against a cruel dictator but instead of trying to have a better life afterwards they abuse the weapons they got for selfish reasons. In the end they are not better than the one they fought before. I'm not a political person, I just try to use my normal human thinking. What must be in the minds of those who act so cruel? In the end it's good that I cannot understand because it would mean I think the same way. But from a realistic point of view they bring even more sadness into the country, the families, the people instead of taking the first steps into a better future.
I hope to be able sooner than later to travel there because from what I've heard and read and seen on pictures it must be a wonderful country.
Keep the faith that it soon will be safe first for the people living there and second to all those who already love the country without having been there.

No comments:

Post a Comment